About 20,000 CO 1224T Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors have been recalled, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) just announced.
The defective CO 1224T Carbon Monoxide detectors were manufactured in China and Mexico by Sensor System, of St. Charles, Illinois; were distributed by ADT Security Services Inc. of Boca Raton, Florida; and were sold via installation by ADT between October 2008 and December 2010 as part of home security systems.
When the CO detectors reach the end of their useful life, they should send a signal to make a sound in the home alarm panel alerting consumers that it is time to replace them; a signal should also be sent to ADTâ€™s alarm monitoring center. Some of the detectors were improperly wired to the ADT alarm system and, at the end of the alarmâ€™s useful life, the devices failed to initiate a sound in the home alarm panel and failed to send a signal to the ADT alarm monitoring center. Not replacing a CO detector at the end of its useful life poses a CO poisoning hazard to consumers.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and toxic gas that can cause death before victims can sense it. Symptoms can manifest in a broad array including flu-like viral or chronic fatigue syndromes, depression, and migraine or other headaches; tachycardia, hypertension, and central nervous system symptoms such as headache, dizziness, confusion, convulsions, and unconsciousness; myocardial ischemia, atrial fibrillation, pneumonia, pulmonary edema, hyperglycemia, muscle necrosis, acute renal failure, skin lesions, visual and auditory problems, and respiratory arrest.
To date, no incidents or injuries have been reported; however, some symptoms of CO poisoning can manifest days or even weeks after poisoning. Symptoms can lead difficulty with higher intellectual functions and short-term memory as well as dementia, irritability, gait and/or speech disturbances, Parkinson-like syndromes, cortical blindness, and depression. Long term, and repeat exposures may increase the incidence of cardiovascular symptoms and cause persistent headaches, lightheadedness, depression, confusion, and nausea.
This recall involves hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors with model CO 1224T that were installed by ADT. The model number is located behind the front cover.
Consumers are advised that they should contact ADT immediately for a free inspection of the recalled detectors and, if necessary, a free repair. Consumers should not attempt to disable the recalled detectors. ADT said that it has contacted all customers.
ADT can be reached, toll-free, at 1.800.238.2727 between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET), Monday through Friday, or at ADTâ€™s website at www.us.adt.com.