A plumbing company is facing a lawsuit brought by the family of a now-deceased plumber who allege his mesothelioma was caused by asbestos exposure at A. Mormile Plumbing & Heating of Amsterdam.
The lawsuit alleges that the plumber’s death was the result of mesothelioma caused by repeated exposure to asbestos dust and fibers, said The Leader-Herald. The lawsuit also accuses A. Mormile Plumbing & Heating of being negligent for not warning employees or its consumers about the dangers of asbestos, for not advising employees of the need for protection when exposed to asbestos, for neither enforcing nor adopting safety protocols, for not removing ”their asbestos products from the stream of commerce despite knowledge of the unsafe and dangerous nature of those products,” and for not testing its products for hazards.
The lawsuit also alleges that A. Mormile Plumbing & Heating should have known “their asbestos products would cause the release of asbestos fibers and dust into the ambient air, creating danger and unreasonable risk of injury and harm to those breathing the air contaminated with such asbestos fibers and dust,” according to The Leader-Herald.
As we’ve explained, asbestos is a fibrous material that was used in a broad array of building materials through the 1970s in the United States. Environmental regulations finally banned asbestos use in most industrial and residential applications; however, asbestos can be found in older buildings.
When airborne, asbestos fibers can be easily ingested or inhaled and, once inhaled, asbestos fibers can wreak havoc on a person’s health, causing breathing problems that become more difficult to treat over time. Exposure to prolonged or high levels of asbestos can lead to various forms of lung cancer, including mesothelioma, a cancer of the pleura in the lungs and a condition that affects thousands of people who worked in industrial settings for years where asbestos was frequently used.
Even if a person hadn’t been directly exposed to asbestos, a related disease could be acquired by simply being near a person who has been exposed. Family members of many of workers exposed to asbestos have, over the years, developed many of the same symptoms and also face similar risks caused by asbestos exposure.
People living nearest to places where asbestos was either made or used in the manufacture of asbestos products also face exposure risks if the toxic material is found in soil deposits. Asbestos, if airborne, can embed into the soil and pose similar risks to people living in the area.
Mesothelioma’s effects cannot be reversed and symptoms could take between 10 and 40 years after exposure to develop. A person’s risk factor is more significant the longer the exposure to asbestos and only a few months of exposure could significantly raise a person’s risk for this deadly disease.
Early signs of potential adverse effects related to asbestos exposure include shortness of breath, feeling tired, or a dry cough. As the disease progresses, coughs can become persistent and worsen. Chest pain and frequent lung infections are also hallmark symptoms of possible lung cancers like mesothelioma caused by exposure to asbestos.