Boycott Prompts Johnson & Johnson To Remove Toxins From “No More Tears”

After recently announcing that Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo contains two cancer chemical ingredients considered dangerous to babies, and urging for a boycott of the now-controversial product, it seems as if the moves by advocacy group, The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, have somewhat paid off. According to The Huffington Post, Johnson & Johnson just announced it will continue to work to remove the chemicals from its baby products worldwide.

Since may 2009, a global group of consumer and environmental concerns has been urging the drug giant to remove the two cancer-causing chemicals from a number of its products, including its highly popular Johnson’s Baby Shampoo, which is typically advertised with the catch phrase, “No More Tears,” said The Huffington Post.

We previously wrote that the Campaign urged Johnson & Johnson to publicly commit to eliminating the chemicals from all its personal care products and to commit by November 15. Johnson & Johnson responded by issuing a statement indicating that formaldehyde-releasing preservatives are safe and have been approved by U.S. regulators and regulators in other countries.

Two weeks ago, the Campaign learned that Johnson & Johnson removed 1,4-dioxane, a likely carcinogen, and quaternium-15, which releases formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, from its products in other countries, such as the United Kingdom, Scandinavia, South Africa. When the Campaign learned of the move, said The Huffington Post, it pressed Johnson & Johnson to remove the chemicals from products in the United States, China, and other countries and asked for a global boycott of all the drug maker’s products.

Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson has issued over two-dozen product recalls in the past two years over a number of problems that range from liquid medicines tainted with glass and metal shards to defective hip implants that have caused patients pain, ambulatory issues, and repeat surgeries.

Johnson & Johnson did provide a timeline. They say it plans to remove quarternium-15 from hundreds of its baby products within about two years. But, two years is not soon enough for the Campaign and the thousands of consumers who are boycotting the company and urging them to do in the United States what they have done in other countries, said The Huffington Post.

Johnson & Johnson said it’s working with global suppliers to mandate reduction of 1,4-dioxane to under four parts per million, saying most meet that standard. The firm said its larger goal is to utilize 1,4-dioxane-free alternatives, in its letter to Lisa Archer, the Campaign’s director. “We think it’s an important step forward. We look forward to the day when all their products are free of carcinogens and other chemicals of concern,” campaign spokeswoman Stacy Malkan said, wrote The Huffington Post.

According to the Campaign and experts familiar with the issue, the chemicals are irritating to the delicate skin of babies, which is not only sensitive, but very permeable, noted The Huffington Post, and just adds to babies’ health risks.

This entry was posted in Health Concerns. Bookmark the permalink.

© 2005-2016 Parker Waichman LLP ®. All Rights Reserved.