About 100 Club Car Utility and Transport Vehicles are being recalled over faulty breaks, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) just announced.
The recalled Club Car Utility and Transport Vehicles were manufactured in the United States by Club Car, LLC of Augusta, Georgia, and were sold at authorized Club Car dealers, nationwide, in April and May 2011. The recalled vehicles retailed for between $6,000 and $11,000 each.
The brake pedal mounting blocks can crack and separate, resulting in a loss of braking ability, which can lead to a crash. To date, Club Car has not received any reports of the brake pedal mounting blocks breaking. No injuries have been reported.
The recalled model year 2012 gas- and electric-powered utility and transport vehicles are constructed in various sizes, models, and colors. The vehicles are only meant for use in short-distance transportation and can be identified by model and serial number. The serial number is above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. Following is a list of recalled models and serial numbers:
- Café Express: Model Number AF, serial number range 1225-287118 to 1225-287529
- Carryall 1, Carryall Turf 1: Model Number FD/FG/HD/HG, serial number range 1225-287074 to 1225-288151
- Carryall 2, Turf 2, Turf 2 Plus: Model Number EG/QB/QT/RG, serial number range 1222-286712 to 1225-288285
- Carryall 252, Turf 252: Model Number JK/JL/XG/ZG, serial number range 1225-287215 to 1225-288287
- Carryall 6, Carryall Turf 6: Model Number JR/JU/JV, serial number range 1225-287116 to 1225-288112
- TransPorter 4: Model Number JS/JT, serial number range 1225-287102 to 1225-287869
- Villager 6 Plus: Model Number QS, serial number range 1225-287558 to 1225-288079
- Villager 8: Model Number MG/QE, serial number range 1225-287531 to 1225-288088
Club Car is providing a free replacement of the brake pedal mounting blocks and is contacting its customers directly. Club Car can be reached, toll-free, at 1.800.227.0739, ext. 3831, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time (ET), Monday through Friday, or at the firm’s website at www.clubcar.com.