Man Loses Eye Due to Exploding E-Cigarette, as Lawsuits Increase

Injuries were sustained by a man in Orange County, California, when the e-cigarette he was using exploded. The device sent debris flying toward his face, causing him to lose an eye. He also sustained orbital and sinus bone breaks. The victim hopes to use his experience to bring awareness to other e-cigarette users, as well as the general public, about the potential risks involved in using the devices.

Not long after this incident, Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill raising the smoking age in California from 18 to 21. The bill prohibits the purchase of all kinds of tobacco products, including chewing, vaping, and smoking for people under 21 years of age, reports NBC Los Angeles.

The explosion in Orange County occurred on April 15 and is one of 19 e-cigarette explosions since 2009 that were reported in California. With the implementation of the new bill, it is hoped that the number of e-cigarette explosions and resulting injuries, will decrease.

In another case, an e-cigarette exploded in a user’s mouth in Florida, causing serious burns and damage to two teeth. Severe burns occurred when a man’s e-cigarette exploded in his hand in California. A bedroom was destroyed by a fire when an e-cigarette exploded in New Hampshire.

The e-cigarette was first released to market in 2007 and has been thought by many to be a tool to help people stop smoking; however, since 2009 and through March 2016, there have been 25 reports of e-cigarette injuries.

This entry was posted in Defective Products, Health Concerns, Legal News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

© 2005-2020 Parker Waichman LLP ®. All Rights Reserved.