Man Reportedly Burns to Death in Hospital After Skin Cream Catches Fire

According to a published report on telegraph.co.uk (Telegraph Group Limited), a 60 year-old patient at Doncaster Royal Infirmary in South Yorkshire (UK) “died in a fireball after lighting a cigarette while wearing a highly flammable skin ointment.”

Although few additional details have been released by either hospital officials or the South Yorkshire Police, it appears that the man was being treated for an undisclosed skin condition when he stepped outside onto a fire escape to have a cigarette.  Shortly thereafter he was engulfed in flames. He was reportedly transported to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield where he died of his injuries.

While hospital officials maintain the incident was a tragic accident and that all procedures had been properly followed, an investigation has been initiated and the police have promised a report will be prepared.

This entry was posted in Defective Products, Health Concerns, Legal News. Bookmark the permalink.


© 2005-2016 Parker Waichman LLP ®. All Rights Reserved.