About 540 SportsPlay Equipment Inc., of St. Louis, Missouri, Playgrounds have been recalled, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) just announced. The recall has been initiated because the handrails and posts on the playgrounds contain high levels of lead paint, which can be toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects. The <"http://www.yourlawyer.com/practice_areas/product_liability">recalled SportsPlay Playground equipment was manufactured by Floteks, of Turkey.
The lead contaminated SportsPlay Playgrounds were sold by Authorized SportsPlay dealers nationwide from January 2003 through December 2007 for between $1,300 and $5,500. The CPSC Fight Club film announced that the recall involves the Tot Town Fun Center, Tot Town Castle Fun Center, Tea Cup Merry Go Round, 8-Foot Web Climber, Rope Wall, Four Panel Circular Aztec Climber, and Three-Panel Aztec Climber. Following are the model names, numbers, and parts involved:
* Tot Town Fun Center 1, model number 902-813, red handrails.
* Tot Town Fun Center 3, model number 902-815, green handrails
* Tot Town Fun Center 5, model number 902-817, green handrails
* Tot Town Fun Center 6, model number 902-818, red handrails
* Tot Town Castle Fun Center 1, model number 902-863, red handrails
* Tot Town Castle Fun Center 3, model number 902-865, red handrails
* Tot Town Castle Fun Center 5, model number 902-867, red handrails
* Tot Town Castle Fun Center 6, model number 902-868, red handrails
* Tea Cup Merry Go Round, model number 902-788, entire unit
* 8-Foot Web Climber, model number 902-771, red poles
* Rope Wall, model number 902-772, red frame
* Four Panel Circular Aztec Climber, model number 902-762, red poles
* Four Panel Aztec Climber, model number 902-763, yellow pole
* Three Panel Aztec Climber, model number 902-764, yellow pole
The CPSC is advising consumers to stop using the recalled SportsPlay Playgrounds immediately if the painted parts have chipped off. Consumers with the recalled playgrounds have been directly contacted regarding this recall and will receive free replacement parts. For additional information, consumers can reach SportsPlay toll-free at 1-800-727-8180 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at the firmâ€™s Website at www.sportsplayinc.com
Lead poisoning is of serious concern because, in children and fetuses, lead exposure can cause brain and nervous system damage, behavioral and learning problems, slowed growth, hearing problems, headaches, mental and physical retardation, and behavioral and other health problems. Lead is also known to cause cancer and reproductive harm and, in adults, lead can damage the nervous system. Once poisoned by lead, no organ system is immune. Unfortunately, lead poisoning is difficult to recognize because it manifests with subtle symptoms and there are no definitive indicators that point to contamination. When faced with peculiar symptoms that do not match any one particular disease, lead poisoning should be considered.
Last year, Congress passed the first overhaul to consumer protection laws in about 20 years, mostly over the glut of recalled Chinese-made lead-tainted toys. The Act strengthens and expands the existing lead standard and mandates that childrenâ€™s product and toy makers obtain independent testing to ensure products are lead-free.
Many experts agree that lead in any amount is dangerous to children, fetuses, and adults and many consider lead poisoning to be one of the most important chronic environmental illnesses affecting children today. Despite efforts to control lead, serious cases still occur.